Wednesday, December 1, 2010

No strings...

IIIIIII've got no strings to hold me down, to make me laugh, to make me frown! I've got no strings to hold me down, there are no strings on me!
~Pinocchio

What a patently false statement. At least, it is now. Once though, I could go where I wanted, when I wanted (geographically, that is). Now? Not so much. Not by any malevolent force keeping me somewhere....but love. Strings of family, friends...things keeping me tied to where I am. My husband, my biological/marital family, and my chosen family (friends) all keeping me where I am...but I know that any of them would let me go somewhere else in a second, if that was what I really needed. It wouldn't be easy for anyone, but I feel safe in the knowledge that if it was what was best for me, it could happen.

The strings that bind a New England girl to the area, especially an island girl, can be pretty tough ones to break. I tried Arizona for a year...not only was it an ENTIRELY different climate environmentally, but emotionally as well. The furthest I've been away for any length of time not including vacations is western Massachusetts. I can't stand the thought of being much further from home than that. And really, I know people say that home is where your mail goes, but for me, Harpswell will always be home. No matter where I go, those strings always pull me back...so maybe I do have strings to hold me down, after all....but the security of those strings allows me to soar in other ways.

2 comments:

Kate said...

You're just more of a kits than a tow-chain, ya know? You'll always be the type to soar, not to drag yourself (or anyone else) along for the ride. <3

Kate said...

KitE, that is. Wouldn't proofreading be an awesome idea??

Anyway... just gently pointing out the number of Wednesdays that have passed since you posted. If I'm able to dredge myself through a black depression and Cymbalta poisoning, seems like maybe... well, you know. And I've got your Christmas present all lined up, but I need to know what your summer looks like. Any times you could *not* escape for a weekend or so?